Friday, April 8, 2011

Blow up Dolls and Fake Hair

Priceless "parenting" advice from a friend....

Most of you are aware that I have temporarily replaced my Social Work hat for diaper changing and child herding care. Occasionally, I come across a child that seems to have an extra secure attachment to their parents (that is pc for a lot of tears...mine!). Over that past 3+ years I've collected some useful tools that almost always work.Almost.

During a recent "trouble shooting" session with my friend,I explained that  this precious child needed to be held a bit more than the other children could afford. My friend came up with the following suggestion:  "Maybe you could ease him by buying a blow up doll and put clothes on it?" Hmmmm.....no words. My friend backed up her suggestion with a personal example, "My mom used to keep my little cousin during the work week. The only way that baby would nap was if she was touching  hair. My sis had a mannequin head from cosmetology school so, we would lay it in the crib with the baby. She would play and sleep very well."

I normally feel the need to end the story with a little humor....not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment